5 Steps to Selling at the Market
(Links to all forms and resources are in the sidebar)
1. Market Rules Thoroughly read the Market Rules. We are a Make, Bake or Grow Market! Pay close attention to the product eligibility requirements. Food vendors must also read the Northern Health Guide for the Sale of Food at Temporary Markets and acquire all necessary permits first. Discuss permit requirements with the local Environmental Health Officer at 250-847-6400.
2. Application If you feel your products are a good fit with the Market Rules and vision, fill out the Vendor Application Form. Be complete with descriptions of how you Make, Bake or Grow your products. All products must be pre-approved before they can be sold at the market, and more information now can lead to a faster approval time. Include any necessary Health Authority permits with your application.
3. Approval Submit your application to the Market Manager, either in person at the market or by mail to the BVFMA, Box 5007 Smithers V0J 2N0. When your Application has been reviewed by the BVFMA, the Market Manager will contact you to let you know whether you are approved and when you can start selling at the market.
4. Payment* Approved market vendors need to bring a completed BVFMA Membership Form and the $25 membership fee plus a deposit on your market fees (4 markets in advance for outdoor season/2 markets indoor season as outlined in the Rules) to the first market attended.
Established vendors (all products previously approved) – please submit BVFMA Membership Form and payment (unless it poses financial hardship) at the same time as the Vendor Application Form to save time & effort for the Manager at the first Market.
5. Vending Arrive one hour prior to market opening time to be assigned a stall space. For the outdoor markets you will need your own table, displays, and a 10′ x 10′ canopy is highly recommended (canopies may be available for an additional $15 fee, but arrange with the Manager beforehand.) At the indoor markets tables are provided. You must have a sign with your farm/business name and location displayed, and all Market Rules must be adhered to.
Welcome to the market and good luck!
*All fees charged by the not-for-profit BVFMA are accounted for in our yearly financial reports and, as a member, you will receive copies of those at each AGM. Some of the expenses we cover with fees are: liability insurance, a business license, promotions, special events, musicians, canopies, a part-time manager, a part-time coordinator and membership in the B.C. Association of Farmers’ Markets.